While buying a bicycle, everything seems perfect and accessible initially. Still, after riding it for a while, people start finding faults and lack some or the other specifications and features. To prevent this, read this cycle buying guide before you buy one.
The most vital aspect to think about before buying a cycle is understanding how you will use the bike. Once you are clear in mind, you can choose the type of bicycle that would suit you the best regarding the purpose.
- For off-road riders, specifically mountain trails- Mountain bikes or MTBs.
- For daily commuting on both hilly or city trails, exercise or fitness purpose, and casual ride- Hybrid cycles.
- For speedy rides, long-distance rides, athlete purposes- Road cycles.
Frame size and build-up material
The frame material and size make a significant impact on its performance and riders’ comfort. You can choose from three types of the frame depending upon their versatility, functionality, and power.
- Steel frames– Affordable, durable, sturdy, but heavy and prone to rust and corrosion.
- Aluminum frames- These are lighter, rust-proof, sturdy, and durable, but a little expensive than the steel frames. These are the most commonly available as well.
- Carbon frames– The carbon frames are incredibly light yet rust and corrosion-proof. These are highly durable but expensive than all the other frame material in the competition. These are mainly used in costly cycles.
Choosing the right frame size is crucial as it directly affects a rider of different size (height).
|HEIGHT (in Feet)
|FRAME SIZE (in Inches)
|4.10 to 5.2 feet
|14.5 to 16 inches
|5.2 to 5.5 feet
|16 to 18 inches
|5.5 to 5.10 feet
|17 to 18 inches
|5.10 to 6.4 feet and above
|18 to 21 inches and above
Right Breaks based on power and safety
- Caliper Brake– Sleek, strong, powerful and dependable. Commonly road cycles are laced with caliper brakes.
- Cantilever Brakes– These are designed for light-off road and cyclo-cross cycling primarily. They are powerful but still lack behind the caliper brakes on that front. A little less aerodynamic as well.
- Disc Brakes– Powerful and very convenient in use (requires less hand power). These are best for off-road trail and can handle high heat without damaging the tires. Disc brakes are immune to water, mud, and dust but are slightly heavier.
- V-Brakes– Compelling then all the other break types. They conveniently stop or slow down on uneven, muddy, or wet paths; hence, they are best for off-road cycling. V-brakes are the most common ones used in cycles in India.
Frequently asked questions
Q1. Which are the best cycle brands in India?
A1. Avon cycles- Best for the most affordable range.
Btwin cycles- Best for affordable sports cycles.
Firefox cycles- Best in performance and quality.
Hercules cycles- easy serviced.
Hero cycles- Best in performance, quality, and durability.
Q2.Which cycles are more suitable for longer off-road rides?
A2. Mountain bikes are best for off-road rides (longer) any day. With thick tires and higher suspension, they support comfortable rides on uneven, hilly trails.
Q3.Which is the cycle for fitness and workout purposes?
A3. Hybrid cycles and road cycles are a more suitable pick for the ones who are planning to buy a bicycle for fitness and workout purposes.
Q4.Is there any weight limit to ride regular bicycles?
A4. No, unless the rider is comfortable riding a bicycle, there are various models available in the market that are suitable for riders up to 300 to 350 lbs.
Q5. Which type of bicycles is best for older adults?
A.5Light-weighted road cycles are best suited for older adults. Hybrid bicycles that are lightly weighted can be an ideal pick as well.
Q6. Which type of gears is best for off-road riding – Geared or Non-geared?
A6. Geared cycles are best for off-road trails as they allow the riders to shift gears as per the track or path they are riding upon. Whereas with non-geared cycles, it gets highly tricky while riding off-road.
So, these were the top 10 cycles under 30,000 in India. Kross Maximus Pro 26T and Hero Sprint Pro Ceralo 24T 21-Speed Bicycle are our top recommendation amongst all. Both models are priced well, are considerable on performance and build-up front, and are ideal for everyday usages.
However, the other models mentioned in the list are some of the best performers, and only if you choose them as per your requirement and suitability.